Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Things I learned on holiday

Apologies for the blog hiatus - but frankly I was too busy eating chocolate and drinking wine over the Easter holidays to nurture my neglected baby. With the girls off school, I was busy nurturing them instead..... and my waisteline. We went to Wales for a week, followed by a whirlwind tour of English friends. Then Belfast, back to Dublin, off to Meath, and here I am back in Belfast, catching breath. And letting out my belt. Here's some of the things I learned while I was away...

1. Don't be fooled by the sneaky sun. Two days bluffing and I put away all the winter clothes and unpacked the frivilous summer fabrics. Then we went on holiday. We were doing great the first two days as the girls swam in the sea and we picniced on the beach. And then it snowed. Twelve hours after sunbathing, it snowed. We had no socks. I had to go out and buy fleeces. Next year the jumpers are staying out until July.
2. If you eat all your children's easter eggs, you will get fat. And unpopular.
3. Five hour ferry rides are not enjoyable. Five hour ferry rides with a livewire toddler who won't sit still, while 40 drunken students dressed as pirates sing and cavort the whole way across the Irish Sea is just plain hideous. I didn't know whether to grab their port and start singing, or jump overboard.
4. If you drink wine every night, while sharing a room with your baby, you will soon feel you are dying from sleep deprivation. Combine this with chocolate overdose and you will actually wish you would die.
5. As my mum would always say, "it's lovely to go away, but it's even nicer to come home."
6. Mum's are always right. Even when they eat all your chocolate.

3 comments:

  1. Haha, great life learnings there Alana. I have missed you! Lovely to hear you've been tripping all over the place though. How bizarre having snow in Summer!? I know what you mean about getting tricked though... it is happening here right now too... albeit with a little less swing than your weather seems to have.
    Hubby and I have been eating the boy's Easter eggs too, there was way too much for them anyway.
    Oh and the ferry ride sounds positively revolting, the toddler, the drunk students, hellish!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa-Kate McGrath03 May, 2012 16:58

    Dear Alana,

    I recently read your blog ‘Mummy Mania’ and really enjoyed your posts ‘We Survived’ and ‘A Gift’ both of which I found to be insightful and incredibly moving.

    One of our clients, Nurofen, are launching their ‘Nurofen for Children’ iPhone App this month and to celebrate we are holding a brunch for a number of Mummy bloggers in our office in Dublin on Waterloo Lane on Tuesday 15th May at 11am. We would love if you could join us on the day!

    Looking forward to hearing from you,

    Kind regards,

    LK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa-Kate McGrath03 May, 2012 17:01

    Also I forgot to include my email (it's been a long day!) lisakatemcgrath@redant.ie

    Thanks,

    LK

    ReplyDelete