Sunday, April 25, 2010

Love Letter to Poppy

My Precious little Popstar,
You are turning three and although it is your birthday I'm buying for, you are actually the glittering present unwrapping before me every day. No matter how much I peek, or size you up, you always manage to jump out of the box and shout "Surprise!"

In the last few weeks my little baby has become a little girl, and as usual, like most things you do, it's like being hit on the head with a sledgehammer. I've already written about your own personal style (not practising walking with me depsite all my efforts, and then standing up one day and walking nonchalently into the kitchen; refusing all attempts at toilet training until one day you simply announced you were off to do a wee wee on the toilet and promptly did, completely bypassing the potty stage.) You do things your way, and you seem rather amused that I haven't figured it out yet. Last week you took one look at the plastic sheet on the car seat, and quietly removed it with a firm "I do wee wees and poo poos in the toilet now," with a look that told me 'Oh Please Mum, don't you know me by now?'

It seems Mother Nature has a sense of humour. You are my mum's revenge on me. As a child, my mum had an annoying habit of telling me she always worried about my brother, but she never worried about me. It used to annoy me at the time, but now I know what she meant. I was simply very sure of what I wanted, and had no doubts about my abilities to get it. It was just my personality type. And it is yours. But I will be worryng about you - I have no doubt whatsoever I'll discover my 16 year daughter is actually partying on Ibiza while I think she's at Irish school for the summer! But you are all your own self too. Totally self-contained, yet amazingly generous and kind. Since toilet training you now attend Daisy's pre-school twice a week and off you trot as if you'd been going for years. No fear. You never have. We go to the soft play, and you head straight for the big kids' section and whizz down the monstrous slides cackling with glee, while your older sister runs after you terrified for her life, but unable to leave you on your own. She's very protective - she hasn't realised yet there is no need! Despite your little-ness (only reaching 0.1 % on the centile chart) your strength of character is a giant. There may be 99.9% of children your age taller than you, but I suspect there are 99.9% of children your age who won't ever get one over on you. You wear big boots on those little feet, and I have no doubt the years ahead will be full of adventures and excitement (on your part) and stress and sleepless nights (on ours). But I know one thing. Despite the fact you still insist on wearing tights in bed (just one of many of your little foibles) and love your mee mee soother more than life itself, my baby is growing up. Happy birthday sweet sweet girl, and as you unwrap your birthday present I look forward to unwrapping your present to me for years and years to come - the wonder of you.

Love mummy

7 comments:

  1. aww that's just really sweet. happy birthday Poppy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post too. Am sending happy birthday wishes Poppy's way - she sounds lovely! Thanks for your comment on my blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw, very lovely letter. and she sounds a lot like my little one, too, esp where she is on the growth chart, but sure keeps up with her big brothers and only uses the big slide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so beautiful! I used to write letters to my oldest and dropped it somewhere along the way. Poppy will treasure this. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful letter. You should print it out and give it to her on her 18th birthday or wedding day. Happy Birthday little lady.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did this recently too just so she would have it when she's older and so that I can remember all the quirky and funny things she does! They really are so special:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was so cute. Happy birthday Poppy. You should definitely keep this letter for her. I'm about to start compiling an album my son who is getting married in 24 days time, and I've found all sorts of little notes and letters from him to me and vice versa which have made me cry they are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete